First Draft: Legislative brief and life cycle infographic

For my project, I’ve chosen to create two visuals that serve two purposes, but can be used in conjunction. The first is a one page handout explaining the background and importance of considering the nematode parasite in American eel management. This will be given to the board members of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission who make the management decisions. I want this handout to make them aware of the issue so that they are more open to accepting changes relating to it. In talking with the ASMFC coordinator for the eel group, he recommended making it very visual and graphics heavy because the legislators are used to getting text heavy documents, so this would be something different and hopefully more appealing. I still have a lot to do on how best to get my points across and how to best use visuals, but this shows a draft of the layout and information I would like it to include. I will probably end up deleting a lot of this text and replacing it with pictures. I will send this to the coordinator and other people at ASMFC to get feedback.

communications_first draft

The second visualĀ isĀ the life cycle info-graphic, which I want to use to integrate the life cycle of the eel and the nematode so people can better understand how they go together. I plan to send this to the board members in addition to the handout, but I also plan to use it for presentations to a broad range of audiences. I want it to be visually appealing and easily understood so that people can understand it without me explaining it to them.

communications_first draft_lifecycle

I will need feedback on both about what is not easily understood and how to get rid of text and add more pictures.