Here are some resources for the workshop and beyond:
Detailed Assignment Timeline – 2017-2018
Date Assignment Due
Tuesday, October 17 First Seminar Event: Learn about the science of science communication, and receive briefing on the Seminar requirements. Faculty members are: George Mason University (GMU) Science Communication Professor Kathy Rowan, GMU science communication PhD student Julia Hathaway, and VASG Communications Center Manager Ian Vorster.
Friday, October 27 One-page proposal uploaded to course website. Describe outreach product, intended audience, desired impact.
Monday, November 13 Feedback from all instructors on proposal sent by email to participants.
Monday, December 11 First version outreach product uploaded to course website.
Friday, December 15 Second Seminar Event: Peer and instructor feedback on first versions of outreach products. Representative stakeholders invited.
January 20 – February 2 Assistance with printing out fliers, infographics available through Ian Vorster, VASG.
Friday, January 26 Final version outreach product (or a link to the product) uploaded to course website.
Friday, February 9 Third Seminar Event: Presentation of final outreach products to peers, instructors, and representative stakeholders.
- The Science of Science Communication — presented by Kathy Rowan
- Visual Communications — presented by Ian Vorster
- Audience Analysis — presented by Allison Engblom
- Science Communication and Visualization — presented by Erin Ziegler
- Why is Science Communication a Science? — by Karen Akerlof
- Analyzing Your Audience, a Handout — by Karen Akerlof
- TED Talks and their close relatives — by Julia Hathaway